Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Monday, August 15, 2011

PT Solutions Womens Triathlon in Acworth- 2nd Age Group

On August 7th, I competed in the PT Solutions All Womens Triathlon in Acworth, GA - my last race before the National Championships coming up Burlington, VT on August 20th.   This was another sprint, very short, 400m swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run, with 600 competitors.  I also did this race last year so had to opportunity to gauge my progress over the year.

Lining up for start, I'm the third person in the pic, we are the last wave of 8.

Several friends of mine were there competing in there first triathlon, Danielle and Kristy, and Renee in her third triathlon.  Danielle and Kristy are in my age group so we all got to start together, they are also stellar swimmers.  I felt very strong in the swim and was 6th out of the water in my wave in 6:15 with a quick run through the sand to transition.  Both Danielle and Kristy beat me in the swim but I passed them in transition, mine was 45 seconds.  Don't worry guys, you'll get transitions down!!

The bike course was a rolling hills loop, nothing too steep, and I had a great split, coming in at 38 mins.   Last year my time on the course was almost 44 minutes.  My friend and competitor Rebecca Rush, who finished second to me at IronGirl, caught up to me on the bike with a mile to go and we smashed through the last mile together.  My second transition was 37 seconds.

Danielle, Kristy, Laura (me), Renee after finishing

The run was hilly and long, about 3.25 miles instead of 5k.  I didn't have a great run, only clocking 22 mins.

My overall time was 1:08:36, good enough for 7th overall and 2nd in my age group, 4 mins back from the overall winner.   Competition was much more stacked this year, as last year my time would have won my age group by 3 minutes.  I also finished second AG last year, but my time was 1:17 then, so I knocked off 9 minutes.  I would say that is progress.  Thanks Coach Steve!!

Danielle and Kristy had great races too and may have caught the triathlon bug!  Great job ladies!!

From my second place finish last year, 9 mins slower than this year

1 comment: