Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

“RUN AS A TEAM, WIN AS A TEAM” - Running for Saranac Lake High School

Today I had one of those moments where my coach said – you can run this time – and I thought, there’s no way I can run that!  It reminded me of when previous coaches have said that to me, I’d give them a blank stare, doubt myself, and then go run it.  How is it that they can have more faith in me than I have in myself?

Coach Thomas Kilroy, Saranac Lake High School Cross Country


Coach Thomas Kilroy
(Picture from pressrepublican.com/archive)

Before my sophomore year of high school, I had never run farther than the gym class mile.  Somehow I was talked into joining cross country that year, lead by Coach Tom Kilroy.  The first day of practice we had to run three miles and it took me 30 minutes.  Stumbling in after the longest run of my life at that point, I was disappointed.  I was a lot slower than most of the other girls.  But Kilroy’s response was - “30 minutes?  Why, you’re a natural!”  Coach Kilroy was the first person to teach me about team work, about leaving it all on the trail, and not noticing if I came in last as long as I gave that race my best effort;  that in cross country, you are competing against yourself as much as the other teams out there.  Most of all, he made it fun.  Our team record for the three years I ran with Kilroy was (45/3).  He was the first coach to ever lead SLHS to a state championship in any sport, with the 1995 Boys NY State XC Champion Team, including Olympic Gold Metalist, Billy Demong. Coach Kilroy is now retired.

Coach David Tyldesley, SLHS Cross Country, Distance Runners Track 2000

(Analise, Coach Tyldesley, Laura)

                My senior year of HS track, Coach Tyldesley was assigned to coach the girls distance team, which was exactly three of us – Laura, Analise, and 7th grader Hailey D.  We went on to dominate in our distances:  Laura (800m), Analise (1500m), Hailey (3000m).  Under Tyldesley’s direction I blossomed into the:

·         2000 Section VII 800m Champion
·         2000 CVAC 800m Record Holder
·         2000 Section VII State Qualifier 800m Champion
·         9th place finish at the NY State Meet in 800m
·          6th place 4x800m Relay at the State meet (teaming with Becky Bog., Kayleen W., and Analise Z.)
·         2 SLHS school records that still stand today

Tyldesley (aka Tyldsbob) coached me to a new level and lead me to become a college quality athlete, ultimately resulting in my recruitment and athletic scholarship to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.  Coach also has a special connection to my family, having coached all 4 of the younger Zaunbrecher siblings (Laura, Analise, Matt, and Ben).  Matt was the SLHS XC front runner in 2004 and standout 800m runner and miler.  Says Matt, "I have always considered (Tyldesley) one of my favorite and most influential coaches."  Currently Tyldesley is coaching the North Country Community College (NCCC) Mens and Womens Cross Country Teams.


I hope you know the difference you have made in my life and the lives of countless other athletes that you have mentored.  Thank you. 
Stayed tuned for my college coaches! Geaux Ragin' Cajuns!!

1 comment:

  1. I think somewhere I have video of Coach Tyldesley gettin' down to Play That Funky Music White Boy after we won Sectionals. Great times.

    ReplyDelete