Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cross-Training and My Natural Transition to Triathlons

I am a runner first.   I've been running since I was 15.  But after the years of pounding on my legs I found myself plagued with injuries.  In college I ran in all three seasons:  Cross-Country, Indoor, and Outdoor Track.  We were constantly running through tendinitis and other aches and pains.

Me as a Ragin' Cajun!  Lap 1 of the 2002 Louisiana Classics, 800m run, 1st place.

 And as soon as the spring season was over it was time to start summer training to be ready for the fall.  My junior year I developed IT Band Syndrome in my right knee - resulting in my red-shirting an entire year.  I couldn't run at all.  To stay in shape without putting stress on my knee, I started swimming.  After finally recovering and another two great years of college running, I tore my left hip flexor at the Texas Relays my senior year while anchoring the Distance Medley Relay. 

Pre-race on the Louisiana-Lafayette Track
 
It was a season ending (and college career ending) injury that led me back to swimming.  As a post-collegiate athlete on the Blazing Bayou Racing Team, I developed a stress fracture in my left foot and had to wear a boot for 6 weeks.  Obviously - no running, and it was back to the pool. 

Thanksgiving 2007, in the boot for my stress fracture



At this point I knew running all the time was not possible anymore.  I started swimming more and it was great way to get in a workout and take the stress of pounding on pavement off my legs.  Cycling was an obvious next step.  Thanks to my friend Karen C. who suggested triathlons might be a fun alternative to all the running we were doing.  It started with spin classes, to buying my own road bike, and falling in love with cycling. 

So, if you're a runner and find yourself getting injured more often than you like...  you may want to get in a spin class here and there, or get out on your bike.  Or hit up the pool - great way to get a tan in the summer too, but you'll have some funny tan lines.  :)   And I run much less now than when in college, but my times,  MUCH faster. 

1 comment: