Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Friday, September 27, 2013

The ITU World Championships in London


What a year, and it all comes down to this big race week!  We (Laura, Charles, Analise, and Patrick) all arrived in London on Tuesday with the Aquathlon only a few hours away, Wednesday morning!  After a delayed flight, a long ride on the tube, and picking up our race packets, it was time for dinner, and bed, and the next thing I know I'm up and in my uniform and heading to Hyde Park for the Aquathlon World Championship race.   It was all held at the same location as the 2012 London Olympics triathlon venue.

Looking nervous and getting into the wetsuit
With our wave starts being really spread out, Charles started 40 minutes ahead of me, enough time for him to complete the entire race in a personal best time, crushing his 5k PR with a 17:07 and good enough for a 9th place finish.  I was in the starting corral when I watched him cross the finish line, just before heading to the platform for my own race to start.

Grouping area for the athletes - with my wave, the yellow caps, lining up on the platform
The start was a quick - 'athletes get in the water' and GO!  No time to get used to the shock of the cold water (60 degrees), just time to swim.  With over 150 athletes in my starting wave, the water was a choppy mess for most of the 1000m.  I hopped out in 18:06, had a great transition and started my run.  I could hear Analise and Charles screaming at me through my transition but never looked up to see them.  I felt very sluggish my first mile, topping out at 7 min pace, way too slow - the jet lag was clearly getting to me, as on my body clock, it was about 3am.  I managed to pick it up miles 2 and 3 but had already lost a lot of time, clocking in only a 20:50, good enough for  a 27th place finish AG and 2nd American athlete.  

Shoes and race numbers are all that's needed for this transition


Laura and Charles out of the water in the Aquathlon World Championship Race 

Doing the Aquathlon was a great way to warm up for the main event, the Sprint Distance World Championships, a chance to see the course, get the butterflies out, feel the water, and shake out the legs.

Running into the Aquathlon finish
And onto the main event!  We got a typical rainy London day for our race.  The rain poured and poured!  Charles, Analise, and I headed down to set up our transition areas with about 15 minutes to spare.  It had rained all night and the place was a muddy mess.  At 8:55, Charles is in the water.  Analise and I are lined up side by side waiting to start, at 9:10.  We watch Charles come out of the water, 6th in his wave and give a cheer before heading once again to the platform.
On the run course
Analise was the most nervous I'd seen her in years.  She's shaking her hands and can't stay still.  I'm trying to remain calm as we sit on the dock and let our feet hang in the water.  We hug, wish each other luck, I'm so proud to be on the starting line next to her again for the first time since Nationals last year.  And so proud of how hard she has worked to get here.   Next thing I know, we are plunging into the water and the horn sounds.  Go time! 



I feel strong, better than in the Aquathlon and am out of the water in ~13:50, a good swim for me.  I began the 600m run to the transition area from the water and spot Patrick cheering, I'm waiting for him to tell me how far behind Analise I am - but apparently I beat her out of the water this time by a few seconds.   I grab my bike and go, running to the mount line and take off, slipping my muddy feet into my shoes.  I know Analise is right behind me and I'll see her shortly on the 3 loop course.  

Charles crushing it on the bike
It's POURING rain.  The roads are incredibly slick and with all the sharp turns its hard to get into a rhythm.  People are crashing all over the course, there are a total of five 180 degree turns on the course and 2 sharp 90 degree turns (per lap, in each direction!)  not the best design for going fast on wet roads.    I am able to push it for one mile stretches at a time before having to sit up, ease on the brakes, and get around the corners.  I see Charles completing his last lap.  Starting my second loop I expect to see Analise.   I'm distracted by all the team USA uniforms and can't spot her.  
Analise, out of the water and on her way to transition

At the turn around I do, but she's off her bike!!  I screamed her name and kept going.  But now my mind is wandering - "did she get a penalty?, did she crash?  Is she ok?"  I hear Patrick cheering and just keep pedaling, I'm sure I'll see her on the next turn around but never spot her again.  The 14.5 miles go by quickly and I'm turning into transition.   That's when I hear her - she got a flat tire and had to pull out of the race.   She screamed,  "You're racing for both of us now!"  In that second I thought about all those times I dreamed of this moment, stared at the London poster on my wall while riding the trainer during the winter, all the swims, all the runs, the pain, the sweat, the tears.
Post race, USA USA USA!
I know I need a better run than in the Aquathlon, I need it come together now, for me, and for her.  And it did.  My fastest run of the year in 19:22 (6:14/mile), finishing in 38th place, 5th American.  
Charles destroyed the field with a 19th place finish and a lightning fast 5k in 17:10.   But my heart was broken for Analise.  I'm hoping she takes the opportunity to compete again in the next few years.

Lastly, our dear friend Amanda M. was the guide for one of the USA paratriathletes.  Ivonne is completely blind and Amanda led her through the swim, bike, and run and on to win the GOLD medal for the USA, in the pouring rain for them too!  Fantastic job ladies!!

Amanda M. and Ivonne, Gold Medal winners
The rest of the trip we used to enjoy the sites and explore the city of London.  There are a few pics below.

With Team EC athlete, Thomas P.

Watching the 2 of the Worlds best triathletes battle is out for the Championship title. Jonathon Brownlee and Javier Gomez
Stonehenge
The London Eye
Riding the London Eye (as promised to me last year)
Parliament building


China town
Obligatory phone booth pic
Trafalgar Square


In Bath
The giant blue chicken


Natural history museum

Buckingham Palace
Amazing friends Ivanna and Konrad who were out cheering on the course!
funny little story, as a consequence of the soaking race conditions, all our wet shoes in the tiny apartment we rented resulted in a horrendous smell til they dried, haha!!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete