Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Friday, September 7, 2012

USAT National Championships, Burlington VT - I did the double!

Sorry to all that it took so long to get this race report up, my dissertation has been a bit overwhelming lately - but this was the big race of the season for me.  The biggest two races I should say!

August 18th and 19th, I competed in the 2012 USA Triathlon National Championships in Burlington, VT!

Analise and I on the beach at Lake Champlain, the evening before it began


Saturday - the Olympic Distance Race

The reality going into this race was that it would be the second Olympic distance race I have done.  The first one being this same race last year!
A difficult task every race morning when you are nervous, eating,  I was caught
 mid-gu eating face.  I know you wanted to see this, you're welcome.  
It's always humbling to do these races, where at local races I am often one of the better swimmers, at this race I was tossed around in the water like a novice.  I admittedly panicked in the water some, with about 100 people starting my wave, and high winds, the water was a choppy mess that was reminiscent of Alcatraz (but nothing could be that bad!).  I made the mistake of starting in the middle of the pack and dealing with cramped space, and elbows, and feet for most of the swim.  Popping out of the water after my one mile swim in 30 mins was not what I hoped for, 3 mins slower than last year despite many hours in the pool.

Analise helping me into my wetsuit

But out of the water and onto the 40k bike, my day got a little better.  I felt strong and was able to take down my time from last year by over 2 minutes despite strong head winds on large section of the course.  Many people had slower times this year, but mine was faster.  This is certainly the sport I have made the most improvement in, thanks to Spinsanity sessions with my coach, Dan Arnett, and team EC every Tuesday and Thursday mornings all year.

Grueling 6am Spinsanity session,
sweating next to my Endurance Concepts teammate and
USAT National Champion  in 20-24 AG Sprint, Thomas Pilliod.

The Spinsanity Team

 Finally, out for 10k run, I felt strong and picked off 18 people in my AG in front of me.  My time of 42 mins put me as one of the top runners in my AG this year.  Overall my time on the Olympic Distance course was 2:32, about the same as last year, so disappointing to some extent, and most of the time lost was in the swim portion of the race.    I placed 40th, not enough to qualify for London in this distance.

Completing the run course at USAT Nationals - Olympic distance

Thankfully, I had another chance the next day in the Sprint race, which is really my favorite and where I do my best.  I took an ice bath that night, lots of stretching, and geared up for Day 2 of racing!  My first double in the sport.

Sunday - The Sprint Distance Race 

I was so glad to have the opportunity the next day for another chance at qualifying for London.  Despite being a little tired and achy from the day before, I know this distance is my real strength and I had a chance to make it happen.  Somehow my nerves were much calmer this day, maybe because I would be lining up next to my sister, who I haven't competed in a race with in over a year.


This time we lined up to the far right side of the swim pack.  This time, there were not so many people to compete with for space in the water. It didn't take long for Analise to pass me in the water with a great swim split for her (13:50 mins).  Again, I felt flat in the water, and came out in 15 minutes for the half mile swim portion.
The beautiful swim location on Lake Champlain, in VT

But I was ready to rock and roll on the bike!  About the first two miles I was feeling VERY achy from yesterdays race.  But once my legs got fired up, I felt great!  I was able to hold over 20mph for the 20k course, and best of all, see where my sister was.  I caught up to Analise at about mile 4 and we were able to ride together for short time before I pulled away, just slightly, up the road.

Time for the run. Still my favorite.  As  I was leaving the transition area, I looked back to Analise pulling in on her bike, only about a minute behind.  I had a great run, my legs were ready to go for it.  After dogging it up the steep hill right at the start, I took off on the flat course, posting a time of 20:15 on the 5k course, the second fastest run time in my Age group.   I finished 8th and was only 20 seconds out of 5th place.  I waited at the finish line for Analise, who crossed just 2 mins later, with the 3rd fastest run time (20:55), in 13th place.
Analise running into the finish

Analise has been to 3 National Championships with me and this was her first year competing.  Clearly, she should have been competing all along!

Our 8th and 13th place finishes qualify both of us for the ITU World Championship Sprint Triathlon in London in 2013.

This race was made so much better by the great support we had on race day.  My father, Karl Zaunbrecher, out cheering and snapping some pics, and the Garabedian family, always with big cheers!!  Also my mother, and my brothers, my friends, specially Monique Koll, Rachel White, Krissa Stiger, and more that have been so overly supportive this year.  Of course my coach and teammates as well. I couldn't do it without you!

And I can't forget to mention the man who kept my nerves in check before the big race, and qualified to London in both the Olympic and Sprint distances, Charles, with a 4th place finish in the Sprint.  We met at this race 2 years ago, and he's still out there dominating in the sport.

Charles coming in on the run

London Qualifiers, Charles and Laura (someone get that boy a new shirt)   

Our press releases:
Adirondack Daily Enterprize:  http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/532489/Zaunbrechers-London-bound.html?nav=5010#.UDZbLEvdIXE.facebook
INDEPENDENT Magazine:
http://www.theind.com/component/content/article/908-sports/11314-wonder-twin-powers--activate?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=theind

4 comments:

  1. If you start watching at 1:07:40 or so, you'll see LZ come in, and at about 1:09:44 you can hear her drown out the newsfeed cheering on Analise - it was honestly the loudest thing the Whole race!
    http://www.livestream.com/neotilive/video?clipId=pla_801fe0d6-ce96-4836-b9d6-6f6a35d16d93

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you see Charles go out on the bike at :29 secs - pink helmet!!!

      Delete
    2. YES I was actually just getting on here to mention that - it was soooooo funny! Couldn't miss him!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the great races! So impressive :o)

    ReplyDelete