Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Sunday, May 13, 2012

May Update

First of all, I apologize for not writing in so long, and I thank all of you who have asked me to start writing again.  And it's about time!  My season begins next week with the Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon.  I'm very excited for this race as I have made a lot of changes since last year.

First of all, I joined the Endurance Concepts Racing team and have been working with a new coach since October, Head Coach, Dan Arnett.  This season I will also be representing one of our partners, Cadence Bikes and Multisport.   So, for my training, Coach Dan works hard to make sure that training for triathlons fits into your schedule if you work a lot.  I have been working on my dissertation and sometimes finding the time and energy for training can be difficult.  But to counter that, I do almost all of my training first thing in the morning, then am done for the day to work, tutor, etc.

My typical training week:

Monday - 6am, Masters swim class at Dynamo Masters, Triathletes, and  Fitness Swimming (recovery day)
Tuesday - 6am, Spinsanity, a group cycling class based on power and cadence training with the coach and other team members
Wednesday -6am, Masters Swim Class, followed by a Run, usually a shorter distance (4-6 miles)  lactate stacker workout.
Thursday - 6am, Spinsanity  (sometimes make this a brick = bike+run)
Friday - 6am, Masters Swim, followed by 'short' run with speed work.
Saturday - 730am, 2+ hour group ride.
Sunday - Long run, base building and endurance, typically 8+ miles.

One of the places I expect to see big changes this season is my swim.  I have been going to Masters swimming now 3 times a week since October and been lucky enough to have a great swim coach, Maria T., tear apart my terrible swimming form.  Though I don't expect to be drastically faster in the swim, I am much more efficient (with lots more work and improvement to do!).  I didn't realize how much energy I was wasting in the swim with such improper form.  Other benefits I get from masters swimming is circle swimming with a group.  When you are leading a line of swimmers, or desperately trying to stay on the feet of the person swimming ahead of you, you will push yourself harder than when you go at it alone.  I know my friends Katie and Rob's feet too well!!  but I do miss swimming with Karen C, my training partner from last season (love you girl!)    

The bike is still my weakness.  One change I've made here is working with my cadence.  When I first attached a cadence meter to my bike I realized that my cadence was pretty low.  To be able to get off the bike and run, your cycling cadence and running cadence should be nearly the same.  Now I strive to keep my cycling cadence around 90rpm, like my running 90 strides per minute which makes my body more prepared to make the transition from one sport to the next.

Riding in Boulder, Co

My run.  Still my favorite of the three.  I've had a slight set back with an injury that prevented me from running for nearly 6 weeks.  My ankle starting bothering me in January, for no specific reason that I can recall. I continued to run on it for a while until knee and hip pain followed.  I finally had to stop running and get treatment.  I've been working with Dr. Josh Glass at Georgia Sports Chiropractic.  He specializes with runners and works with the US Olympic track team, so I am in good hands.    I'm back to running for up to an hour now and expect it come back quickly.

Here's to a great season ahead!!    With this years grand finale held in Auckland, New Zealand.  I can only imagine it will be much easier to get around there than China, since they speak English!  But I am excited to continue my trek around the globe, and go to the Southern Hemisphere for the first time.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment