Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Friday, October 21, 2011

Tri to Remember Open Water Swim and Lake Lanier Triathlon Double

I decided to end my season with one more weekend of racing, to get the disappointment of the WC off my mind.  So Saturday, October 1, I competed in the Tri to Remember Splash 1k open water swim event, followed by the Lake Lanier Sprint Triathlon (400m swim, 13mile bike, 5k run) on Sunday, October 2.

Laura, Karen, Hanna, and Corrine

The open water swim was a first annual event offering a 1k or 2k.  Since I was racing the next day I opted for the shorter race and headed to the lake with the best swimming partner ever, Karen!  Though there were only about 20 people in our wave (about 60 total) and the race was very disorganized, the two of us finished 1-2 overall!  Including the men!  Karen came out of the water in under 17 minutes, with me, 'shortly' behind in 18:40.

 Karen and Laura on Lake Lanier beach

Karen went on to take first place in her age group the next weekend at the Eric Shanteau Swim for Your Life!
 
Karen with Aaron Perisol, Congrats girl!!  You rocked it!!

The next day I competed in the Lake Lanier Islands Sprint Triathlon (400m swim, 13mile bike, 5k run).  It was a brutally cold morning and I was so thankful to be in my wetsuit!  I was 5th out of water in about 6 minutes and made it quickly out of T1 and onto the bike.  I felt like a Popsicle out there with numb hands and feet.  I had a strong ride (for me) easily passing a few women (and plenty of men) in front of me, but getting caught by the top 2 ladies.  My time was just under 40 minutes.  Coming into T2 my hands and feet were so cold and numb I couldn't get my shoes on and lost a few seconds fumbling around with them.

It felt like my feet were covered with a layer of clay running on them like that.  The out and back run let me see that the gap between the top 5 women and the rest of field was pretty large!  It was a very competitive run out there, my time being slow for me at around 20 minutes, and I crossed the finish line in 5th overall - winning my age group by over 11 minutes.   I clocked a final time of 1:10:04.

Lake Lanier 25-29 Age Group Winners
It has been a really fun season for me and I look forward to 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment