Donations

**Your generous donations go towards travel and lodging in London as well as equipment and coaching.**

Monday, June 13, 2011

Teva Mountain Games Mud Run

June 4th I headed up to Vail, Colorado for the Teva Mountain Games!  Perfect place for anyone who loves competing in or watching outdoor sports:  kayaking, mountain bike racing, rock climbing, running (half marathon went up Vail pass), even fishing, and events for your dog!  It's also at an elevation of 8150 ft!



So doing a race there was an experience!  Because of the strain in my calf all I signed up for was the 2 mile Mud Run, short and sweet, you made three loops along an course with a decent hill and ~10 yard mud pit to run through.  The majority of the people doing the mud run do it to get dirty!! - so only a few women were actually competing in it.  The announcer was kind enough to point out who the defending champ was before the race so I decided to just let her (Jax Swartz) pace the race and not run harder than I had to - in case my calf started to hurt.
 
Completing the first loop stride for stride with defending "Mud Queen" , Jax Swartz.

Racing at 8150 feet was nothing like sea level, though it was a comfortable 6:15 pace, my lungs were burning from the thin air.  But it was really fun!  The mud didn't slow either of us down and I managed to pull away on the last hill.  

Some pics following the race, To clean off we were sprayed with a fire hose, brrr!

 I went on the complete the course in about 12:30.  Edging out Jax and capturing the 2011 Teva Games "Mud Queen" title.  Check out her website as she is using running to raise money for cancer research and awareness. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your successful first race back! It sounds like you had so much fun. I have to say, Laura, I really enjoy reading your posts. You make lemons out of lemonade during the tough times, you write well, you celebrate and lift up others. Keep up the good training, racing and writing!
    Love,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine 6:15 being comfortable. But way to go! Sorry we missed each other. Let me know next time you're in. And GOOD LUCK!!! Love, Katherine

    ReplyDelete